A two-day workshop with Dr. Karen Baikie, Certified Hakomi Trainer
SYDNEY: Sat 25 Aug—Sun 26 Aug 2018
In most areas of psychology and psychotherapy, and in our lives generally, resistance is seen as a problem. It’s seen to make the process of change slow and challenging. Therapists who perceive a client as resistant are likely to lose empathy and compassion for them, and individuals who perceive themselves as resistant are more likely to drop out or feel bad about themselves. So how do we make therapy effective when it feels challenging and stuck?
In this workshop, we will explore the Hakomi Mindful Somatic Psychotherapy approach to dealing with resistance. In Hakomi, resistance is not a problem at all, in fact it is a signpost towards core material. We will explore various frameworks and techniques to explore stuckness and move the process forward.
In this experiential workshop, you will:
- Be introduced to the methods and underlying principles of Hakomi Mindful Somatic Psychotherapy, in a safe, supportive environment.
- Explore the use of mindfulness as both an attitude and a tool for use in self-study and therapeutic settings.
- Learn about various experiential techniques for investigating resistance with an attitude of curiosity and compassion to bring the process alive.
- Understand how systems both within the client and between client and therapist can contribute to stuckness and learn how to navigate these systems.
- Observe a live Hakomi session.
The workshop will include talks, experiential exercises, discussion and personal reflection. Participants will come away with skills that can be readily applied directly following the workshop, both with clients and in their own relationships.
This workshop will be of value to those interested in learning more about Hakomi Mindful Somatic Psychotherapy, including psychotherapists, counsellors, psychologists, other practitioners, and also lay individuals wishing to deepen self understanding and personal relationships.
Dates & Times:
Saturday 25 August: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Sunday 26 August: 9.00am – 4.00pm
Super Early Bird $330 (paid by 29 June).
Early Bird $385 (paid by 27 July).
Full-time students $275 (with proof of full-time student status and paid by 27 July).
Prices incl. GST. No cancellations or refunds after 10 Aug.
Crows Nest Centre, 2 Ernest Place, Crows Nest.