A two-and-a-half-day workshop with Dr. Karen Baikie, Certified Hakomi Trainer
ADELAIDE: Fri 25 May—Sun 27 May 2018
In most areas of psychology and psychotherapy, and in our lives generally, resistance is seen as a problem. It’s seen to make the process of change slow and challenging. Therapists who perceive a client as resistant are likely to lose empathy and compassion for them, and individuals who perceive themselves as resistant are more likely to drop out or feel bad about themselves. So how do we make therapy effective when it feels challenging and stuck?
In this workshop, we will explore the Hakomi Mindful Somatic Psychotherapy approach to dealing with resistance. In Hakomi, resistance is not a problem at all, in fact it is a signpost towards core material. We will explore various frameworks and techniques to explore stuckness and move the process forward.
In this experiential workshop, you will:
- Be introduced to the methods and underlying principles of Hakomi Mindful Somatic Psychotherapy, in a safe, supportive environment.
- Explore the use of mindfulness as both an attitude and a tool for use in self-study and therapeutic settings.
- Learn about various experiential techniques for investigating resistance with an attitude of curiosity and compassion to bring the process alive.
- Understand how systems both within the client and between client and therapist can contribute to stuckness and learn how to navigate these systems.
- Observe a live Hakomi session.
The workshop will include talks, experiential exercises, discussion and personal reflection. Participants will come away with skills that can be readily applied directly following the workshop, both with clients and in their own relationships.
This workshop will be of value to those interested in learning more about Hakomi Mindful Somatic Psychotherapy, including psychotherapists, counsellors, psychologists, other practitioners, and also lay individuals wishing to deepen self understanding and personal relationships.
Dates & Times:
Friday 25 May: 6.30pm – 9.00pm
Saturday 26 May: 9.30am – 5.00pm
Sunday 27 May: 9.30am – 4.00pm
Group of 3 or more paying together $360
Early bird $380 (if paid by April 10th 2018). Full fee $415
No cancellations or refunds after 10th May 2018.
Sophia (Conference Cnt), 225 Cross Rd, Cumberland Park SA.